There are so many different types of floor coatings and surfaces that it can be overwhelming to decide which one is right for you. Many homeowners will consider an epoxy coating as a great solution for garage floors because of its durability, longevity, and aesthetic ability to improve the overall look of the space.
Many garages hold numerous items such as cars, motorcycles, tools, and many other items that can require a lot of maintenance. However, an epoxy coating provides you with the opportunity to prevent creating the needed maintenance in the first place because it is designed to withstand damage from scuffs and stains commonly caused by everyday activities. This allows for less repair work down the line.
What is Epoxy?
Epoxy is a resin that is mixed with a hardener in order to activate it. Once the two solutions are combined, they produce an extremely durable material that can provide excellent protection in extreme conditions. The epoxy will be able to handle automotive fluids, gases, and chemicals common in garages without breaking down or losing its chemical structure. These durable surfaces are also available in many different colors, patterns, and designs.
Epoxy coatings for garages have long been a popular choice for homeowners who want to create a space that is easy to maintain and enhances the overall aesthetics of a room. Coatings can provide a protective barrier from exterior elements such as UV rays, moisture, salt from snowmelt, acids from spills, etc.
What are the Benefits of Epoxy?
- Easy installation: epoxy coating products come with detailed instructions on how to apply them
- Uniform finish: regardless of which type of epoxy you choose to use, they will all give you a smooth surface that is easy to clean and maintain
- Durability: once you have epoxy floors installed, you won't need to worry about sealing or resurfacing them for a long time
- Stain resistance: surfaces such as epoxy are made with chemical resistant properties that can handle common fluids found in garages
- Low maintenance costs: because the epoxy coating is such a smooth surface, it means that you won't have to spend as much time repairing or maintaining the area after installation
- Aesthetic value: epoxy will not only protect your garage surfaces but will also make them look better. By installing a durable product such as epoxy, owners can take advantage of a plethora of color options for their floors
Types of Garage Epoxy
- Water-based: these epoxies are easy to apply and will dry quickly. They require just one coat and produce a uniform finish that is resistant to oil, chemicals, solvents, stains, salt, etc.
- Solvent-based: these epoxy coatings offer an incredible amount of durability while requiring very little maintenance because they are resistant to scratching, scuffing, and skidding.
- Polyaspartic: this type of epoxy is preferred by automotive technicians due to its ability to stand up against harmful chemicals found in garages while also offering incredible resistance to heat, UV rays, salt, and other elements commonly found on the exterior.
- Metallic Epoxy: these epoxy products are made with metal particles that will give your garage a glossy look. The metallic epoxies offer incredible durability and can provide a long-lasting finish that won't require any maintenance for up to 10 years.
- Flake Epoxy: while some epoxies are made with a flat finish, flake epoxy will be able to imitate the look of real stones. This material is perfect for garages because it can withstand heavy traffic while also being resistant to common garage chemicals and spills.
Epoxy Coatings are Versatile and Customizable
When you choose epoxy for your garage floor, you will be able to take advantage of a number of different finishes, including clear, textured, metallic, iridescent, and pearl. Each type is created with different pigments that allow the coating to reflect light differently.
- Clear: This finish doesn't come in any color or pattern. This type of epoxy is usually used when you want to protect the surface underneath without completely changing its appearance.
- Textured: This finish will make the floor look like it has an uneven surface. It is best for owners who don't mind maintaining their garage floors regularly or for locations where there won't be any traffic because the texture can cause a tripping hazard.
- Metallic: These coatings will give the floor a mirror finish that can attract attention from passersby. Metallic epoxies are perfect for garages because the metallic pigments provide incredible durability and protection from scratches, scuffing, and other exterior elements.
- Iridescent: This type of coating is one of the most popular choices for epoxy because it can give any garage an incredible look. This finish is created by applying metallic pigments that will reflect light differently depending on where they are viewed from.
- Pearl: This type of epoxy has a similar effect to iridescent but creates a more shiny appearance. The pearlescent finish is created by using chemical-resistant particles that will help protect surfaces from common chemicals found in garages.
Because epoxy is such a versatile product, it makes perfect sense that garages would be the ideal location for owners looking to protect their investments. Not only will your floors be protected from damage, but they will also look better than ever before, which means that you won't have to spend as much money on other types of renovations. If you are considering an epoxy coating for your garage floor, don't hesitate to research your local options.